Remembering Summer

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Are you shittin me!?

So the day was Tuesday, August 9th, 2011; Jeff's 27th birthday.  We started out by doing some work at camp in the morning so we could have the entire afternoon and evening off.  I gave Jeff this first half of his gift, two movies right up his alley: Team America and Super Troopers.  He got a kick out of them. 
After lunch we packed up some snacks and towels and headed out on the quad.  There is an amazing waterfall hidden way down the road, even more in the middle of nowhere than our camp.  It takes an hour to get there and we accidentally forgot the map. Oops!  Thankfully, we did not get lost down some quad trail.  After spending an hour or so at the falls, exploring and picnicking, we decided it was time to head back.
The last part of Jeff's birthday was supposed to be dinner and a walk.  The Plaza is a little Greek restaurant in Kenora that is crazy busy!!  We managed to snag a back booth where we had our lovely romantic dinner.  We laughed, we talked, we ate way too much food.
Eventually we left on our walk to the lovely Husky the Musky.  Despite the massive fish, the gardens there are beautiful and there is a lookout spot where we sat and looked out over the city while the fountain blew a hundred feet in the air.  I gave Jeff the rest of his gift, which consisted of Keith Urban tickets and a BP gift card.  Needless to say, he was excited.
We waited while people took pictures of the fountain and Jeff managed to hold his tongue, but not quite long enough.  He whispered to me while we sat there, "I was almost going to say something rude to make them leave!"  I asked, "Like what?"  "Everyone these days goes out and buys these fancy cameras and thinks they are a photographer."  Turns out the lady with the camera was only just behind us, still taking pictures.  She left pretty quick after that.
"Well, this was a pretty okay birthday but it wasn't the best one I've had."  Jeff said to me and stood.
My face fell.  I had tried so hard to make it such an amazing birthday, our first one as a couple.
"But you know what would make it an amazing birthday?"  He got down on one knee and pulled out this small box.  "If you would marry me and become my wife."
I lost my breath after that one.  Nice sneak attack on Jeff's part.  "Are you shitting me?"  I asked.  "Are you serious?"
He nodded and laughed and I nodded and whispered, "Yes" as he slipped the most amazing ring onto my shaking finger.
We hugged and kissed and I teared up a bit.  Eventually we walked back to the truck, talking and laughing the whole way.  Mostly Jeff was just laughing at me while I was stuck in my shock.  He apparently had carried the ring around all day, waiting.  Who knew?
Thanks to everyone who planned and kept the secret from me for MONTHS!  It was the most amazing, beautiful surprise ever.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats! Good thing you didn't freak out on him when he made that comment about the bday not being the best. Now the fun begins!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yayy!!!! I'm so happy for you!! Your ring is amazing and the proposal sounds great too! If you need help with anything, just let me know, seeing as I have been through all this recently ;)

    ReplyDelete